Friday, February 8, 2008

the first wednesday of november

The first Wednesday of November
The streets are lined with confetti and hope
A closer race nobody can remember
A valiant effort I’ve been told

But it might as well be
50,000 votes
Separating me
From the new mayor of Monroe

The first Wednesday of November
And I’m nothing but a citizen again
I was shining bright as a dark horse
I nearly galloped my way in

But it might as well have been
50 years ago
when I almost took the stage
as the new mayor of Monroe

The good folks bring consolation
Wrapped in sugar and cellophane and notes
But I’d trade every fruit basket
For 17 more votes

Looking back at what could have been
while looking forward to another winter in Wisconsin

I might as well be
A drunkard or a ghost
For I’ll never take the stage
As the new mayor of Monroe

No comments: